12/13/2005

Bishop Remington

The appearance of this quote--
I am wishing for you this day a happy Christmas. I would send you those gifts which are beyond price, outlast time, and bridge all space. I wish you all laughter, and pure joy, a merry heart and a clear conscience, and love. . . . I wish that the spirit of Christmastide may draw you into companionship with Him who giveth all.
--prompted a somewhat-involved Internet search for biographical information on Bishop Remington, to whom the quote is credited. I found numerous other citations of the same quote, or parts of the same quote, but information on the speaker is not forthcoming. Assuming that "Bishop" is his title, not his name, I believe it may be Bishop William P. Remington, Bishop of Eastern Oregon for the Episcopal Church during the early to mid 20th Century. Would anyone like to accept a challenge and see what else you could find?

In the process, I found this page of Christmas quotes, which I share in the spirit of the season.

4 comments:

Naomi Joy said...

Okay, I give up...although, I must admit Google Chile is probably not the best way to ascertain information. I tried switching into English and couldn't find anything more. But, if the day ever comes that I find something via research that you don't, I'm going to go into serious shock.

Anonymous said...

I think he may have been a Catholic Bishop. It is from a longer letter that my mother quoted in a book she and my father gave me for Christmas long ago. I think the letter appeared in Ideals magazine one Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps I commented too soon since further search reveals there was an Episcopal Bishop Remington.

Anonymous said...

He was an Episcopal Bishop.