12/15/2008

On (Near) Synonyms

I realize that the average person does not take a job at a fast food restaurant due to an extraordinary level of competence and expertise. But, being my father's daughter (Sorry, Dad!), I expect some basic level of competence pretty much everywhere--like the ability to transfer the order from my mouth to the register without grave mishaps or the knowledge that, if the cost is $10.55 and I hand him $11.05, I get 2 quarters back. Or. . .

we went to Wendy's yesterday, and I ordered a Mandarin Chicken Salad. I frequently order the MCS, and they've never before asked me what type of dressing I would like, because it comes with a sesame dressing. But the guy at the drive-thru window asked. We told him I wanted the dressing it came with. But when I checked in the bag as we pulled away, he had given me Balsamic Vinaigrette. So Kevin parked and I went in to trade. I asked the lady at the register if they had the Asian dressing. She looked at me like I was an idiot and said, with a very un-customer service-like attitude, that they had never had an Asian dressing. I, very kindly in spite of a certain irritation, pulled the vinaigrette out of the bag. "Well, this isn't what normally comes with the mandarin salad. Do you have any of it?" She looked over at another employee. . .and asked for the Oriental dressing.

Excuse me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! I stand with you in your irritation!